Tuesday, February 2, 2010

East of the Sun, West of the Moon Enameled Bird Piece


Enameling metal is my new significant other.

A little bit about this fresh love of my life. Enameling is the FREAKISHLY COOL process of firing glass to metal. You can do seriously awesome things with it (you can also make godawful kitchy crap, but we're going to avoid that.) It appeals to me because you can add deep, rich, textured color to metal, it's a deceptively simple process with huge amounts of potential, and it takes about 1/5 of the time as anything else in the metal studio.

The really nice part of enameling for me is that it's a perfect side project. I can fire up the kiln, do a bunch of test pieces, and not waste too much time away from anything big I happen to be avoiding. And I wind up with all these bright, shiny, colorful pieces of metal on my desk to toy with!


This is the first serious piece I did using enamel. I had a pierced strip of copper that I was trying to make into a collar with a bird suspended over the throat left over from last term. The bird is suspended by a little jump ring, as you can see from the movement. Not firing enamel over the hole for the jump ring was hell and a half, and I wound up covering the bird's hole (snerk), so the jump ring is just bent into the divot that the enamel left.

This is the other side of the piece- it's got a slight curve to it so it stands up independently. This was the only decent shot I got of the white side, because the glass reflects light so glossily. I might try to take a few others to do it justice. Enameling metal requires using both sides of the piece so that it's equally weighted and doesn't crack the glass, which I was deliberately designing for.

The title refers to one of my favorite fairy tales, because of the whole White Bear, black night, transformation bit. God, I love that story. I wanted the piece to evoke a fanciful, storytale, shadowbox without being too blatant about it, and it think it's my favorite thing I've done so far this term.

(You really have to hold it and watch the little bird twist and turn from black to white to appreciate how much I'm in love with it.)

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. If I had any money at all, I would definitely try to commission something like this from you. SOMEDAY when I am not exclusively eating ramen and whatever is on sale 2 for 1 at the grocery store, I will pay you to make me something lovely like this.

    You are seriously talented, lady. Just when I start to think oh my, Mish does such amazing creepy things, you bust out this lovely, non-creepy thing out and BLOW MY MIND.

    Also, I miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll enjoy this:
    http://bob-basset.livejournal.com/

    He's an awesome leather & metal worker and makes lots of masks, including a Cthulhu Mask http://bob-basset.livejournal.com/120530.html. He also does adorable things like this steampunk flapping flying fish looking push toy thing: http://bobbasset.com/?p=269

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks Norah! I'm glad you like it so much :)

    Yeah, I love Bob Basset's work, he's really big in the metal/leather community.

    Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete