Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fishehes, parts two and three


The second part of making my fish screen, coming up with the next layer. I was thinking in terms of bubbles, and came up with a cityscape silhouette. If you look closely, and share my linguistic geekery, you'll see where I hid the cyrillic letters for fish in the buildings.

And because I was a failure at posting yesterday, here's the transparency I drew from my original ink sketch (photographing plastic- less than easy). I also burned the screen today, although the emulsion didn't harden quite enough and I wound up with a little haze trying to wash out. I made a new drying area (cardboard box with a fan propped up) but I only left it for an hour or so which I think was the problem. If I was anything less than supremely lazy, I'd walk the ten feet to my garage and throw a picture of it up, but as it is y'all can see it tomorrow when I pull the first prints.

I get a lot out of serigraphy, but every time I burn a screen I feel like there's so much more I could be doing design wise. I haven't put any of my screens to fabric yet because I don't feel like they're good enough. Luckily my technical skills are improving every time I pull together a print, and with luck by the time my designs are satisfying I'll have the ability to print them tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment